Well, my first day is over. Thank GOD. Apparently, surgery is pretty technical... WHO KNEW! But honestly, this hospital is AMAZING. Everyone here is so receptive to students because they are here ALL the time. Bridgeport Hospital is associated with Yale. There are three other PA students here. One is from Yale, and one from St. Francis, they are cool. The other guy is from Salauaniner school in Philadelphia. He's super smart, and a just a tad "different", but I'm sticking with him because he's really nice and he has been here for a little over a week so he kinda knows what he is doing. Me, on the other hand, gets lost when going to the BATHROOM. I'm thinking about using iphone GPS just to navigate around this hospital... Seriously. I'm not kidding.
Anywho, so this morning I went and met with the resident coordinator, and we went on a wild goose chase trying to get me a badge and a parking permit (shit! which reminds me, I never got one so I'ma have to pay 5 bucks when I go to Walmart here in a few minutes! eff!) .... Oh well. So, after about an hour, NONE of that got accomplished. Great. After that shitshow, the nicest, most helpful preceptor in the WHOLE WORLD came to get me. He is a PA and his name is Brent Something-or-other, but I like to call him Brent the Great. He showed me around a little bit and then was like "Well, we have an open inguinal hernia reduction....Wanna scrub in?" and I'm like "Yeah dude. Sweet." ... (actually it was more like, "Omg yes!! That would be fabulous!" haha) So we get in there and the surgeon is AMAZING and the best teacher EVER! He verbalized EVERYTHING that he was doing! For example: "OK Amanda, Now I am cutting though this fascia so that I can get to the cremasteric muscle. This whole time I am looking for the ilioinguinal and the iliohypogastric nerves because I don't want to compromise them and complicate the procedure. OK, now here is the inguinal ring, and if I lift this up here, *lifts up a great big glob of gobbley gook that looks like NOTHING if you just glance* ...you can see the vas deference and the spermatic cord. Now I am going to dissect them out.." You get the drift.. He was GREAT! So when he got done reducing this hernia he left me Brent the Great to close. Brent was like "Here ya go! Don't be nervous you'll do great.." and I'm thinking "This is possibly the best rotation ever." .......
UNTIL....
Next case was an excisional biopsy of a lymph node in the neck. Dr. Amazing had a little trouble stopping some bleeding and just like that he SNAPPED and turned into Dr. Pissypants! He yelled at Brent the Great and told me that I was distracting him and I needed to move... But I'm not mad at him for yelling at me because I really was distracting him.
For SOME REASON (probably hypoglycemia) I just suddenly, out of the blue, started having heart palpitations, the room started spinning, and I thought I was going to PUKE on this lady's external jugular. I started taking these big, loud deep breaths and rocking back and forth (aka DISTRACTION) and thinking it was going to pass, but it didn't! I started sweating, it felt like it was 900 degrees in that room, and I was like "OMG I need to sit down." Everyone looked over and noticed me standing there on the verge of death. Then Dr. I Hate Students That Pass Out In My OR was like "Get her out of here NOW!" so this nurse links arms with me, and escorts me out of the OR. Awesome. So, I grabbed the granola bar that I had in my pocket, and the nurse went and got me some OJ and I sat there for a good 20 minutes, white as a ghost.
I didn't eat very much for breakfast because Salmonella Kitchen made me wanna PUKE this morning. So I'm pretty sure that was it. But gosh. This is something that WOULD happen to me on my very first day. Great first impression Amanda. Just great...
No comments:
Post a Comment